When I’ve got my brand-new Android phone, I immediately activate the synchronization feature to sync my calendar, contacts and email. After the synchronization process is complete, I found that the contacts in my phonebook are so many, over 2000 contacts.
This number is a way over than it should; I know that there is something wrong. When I check the phonebook, I found many duplicate contacts on my Android phone. There are contacts who have same name but different phone numbers or email address, there are contacts with the same phone numbers but different name (I write it a different way), and there are contacts who identical same but stored more than one in my phone. Apparently, this thing can happen because I synchronize contacts stored on my Google account and also synchronize contacts that stored on other services such as Yahoo or Facebook.
This condition is a bit frustrating, especially if I have to find and delete duplicate contacts one by one. If you experience a same problem like me, then you do not need to worry, because now you can install third-party applications that can help to overcome this problem. The application name is Go Contacts EX. This app is alternative default contacts app that is worth trying. In my opinion, Go Contacts EX is one of the best android contacts apps. In this article, we will not only give a tutorial how to delete duplicate contacts on Android, but we will also explain some of the other features.
How to Remove Duplicate Contact on Android
Just for your information, this application is actually doesn’t have the ability to delete or completely remove duplicate contacts. It can only merge two or more contacts that have a common element, either same name, same number or same email address. Furthermore, this Android app only has the ability to find duplicate contacts, but to combine them, it can’t be done automatically. So, we must click the “merge” button every time we want to merge multiple contacts into one contact.
Actually, there are other applications that can combine, and even delete the contact automatically. However, when I try these applications, it doesn’t work properly. So, Go Contacts EX is still better than other duplicate contact’s remover app, at least at the time I write this article.
Here are the steps to remove / merge Android duplicate contacts:
1. Install GO Contacts EX from Android Market
2. I highly suggest you to back up the contact list data on SD card before proceed furthermore. If something goes wrong, at least you have a backup. Here’s how to do it: open GO Contacts EX app > press the MENU button > click “Im-Export” > click Export to SD card.
3. Once the backup process completed, now you can click the MENU button > click “Merge” > it will show three options:
- Search by Name: find duplicate contacts that have same name
- Search by No.: Find duplicate contacts based on same phone number
- Search by Email: Find duplicate contacts based same email address.
For example, when I click “Search by Name,” it will look like this:
4. To merge contacts, you can click “Merge.” If there are more than three contacts with the same name, but you want to combine only two of it, you can uncheck mark on the contact you don’t want to merge.
How to make a contact group on Android
The default Android contact application actually can make a contact group. However, I feel easier to make a contact group on Android when I’m using Go Contacts EX application and here is how to do it:
1. Open Go Contacts EX application > Click “Groups” or wipe the finger to the left (see picture below):
2. Click the plus sign (+) to create a new Group > click on the account where you want to store the Group data, whether on a phone or on your Google account > Enter the desired Group Name > additionally, you can also set a ring tone for newly created group by clicking the “Ringtones”> click OK.
Note: If you create the group using Go Contact EX, you can also find the group that you made on default (native) contact app.
How to Delete, rename and set a Ringtone for a contact group
Open Go Contacts EX applications > Click “Groups” > press the MENU button> click “Manage” and it will show an option as below:
- To delete a group: click on a cross (X)
- To set the ring tone: Click on the music icon.
- To change the Android contact group name: Click the pencil icon.
- To arrange the group order: click and hold the “the three horizontal lines’ icon” on the right of the screen > scroll the Group up and down to your desired position.
How to add contacts into the Group
Go to Go Contacts EX applications > Click “Groups”> click on one of the groups that you want to add contacts, for example, the “Family” group > press the MENU button > click “Add Member” > find the contacts you want to add by typing the name / phone number in the search box > give a check mark on the contacts > click OK
How to delete / remove contacts from the Group
Click on the Group that you want to manage, for example, click the “Friends” group > click on the top right of the screen (the pencil icon) > give a check mark on the contact(s) you want to exclude from the group > click “Remove” (it located at the bottom of the screen > after that, click the BACK Button or click a check mark icon at the top right of the screen.
Note: By removing a contact from the group will not delete the contact.
How to assign ringtone or picture to individual contacts on Android
To assign Android contact ringtone: open Go Contacts EX applications > type the name or phone number on the search box to find the contacts > click on a contact that you want to assign a ringtone > click “Ringtones”.
To add or change android contact picture: Click on the contact that you want to assign a picture > click on the top right of the screen (the pencil icon) > click on the “frame icon” on the top left of the screen (next to the Family Name text) > it will show the options:
- Take Photo: Using an image taken by the device camera
- Select Photo from Gallery: Using an image that already stored on the phone (Gallery)
How to delete multiple contacts on Android
open Go Contacts EX > click “Contacts” > press the MENU button > click “Batch delete” > give a check mark on the contacts you wish to delete (you can also find the contact you want to delete by typing the name or number on the search box) > click OK.
How to add contacts to Favorites list
If you have frequently called contacts, then it’s better if you add the contacts to your favorite list so you can access it easily. To do that, it can be done in two ways:
Method #1: open Go Contacts EX application >click or slide the screen to enter the Favorites menu (the heart icon) > click the plus sign (+) to add a contact > give a check mark on the contact(s) > click OK.
Method #2: Go to the Contacts menu > click on a contact > click on the heart icon at the right of the screen to add the contact to your favorite list.
Dial pad Features
Like any other Android contacts apps, Go Contacts EX also has its own virtual dial-pad. There is nothing so special about this feature, but I feel that Go Contacts dialer gives a quick response when I hit the telephone number. So, if your default dialer application gives a slow response, then you can try the Go Contacts dialpad.