In this article, I will discuss about one of the best Android themes. Actually, the “themes” word is not 100% correct, because right now I will discuss about launcher application. I’m still using the theme’s word because it is more common to hear for most of the people, especially for new Android user.
What is Android Launcher?
Launcher is an application to change the Android interface. It’s not just about the looks, but by using the launcher, the user can also add or change the animation effects when operating the phone.
Reason to choose Go Launcher EX
There are many other launchers you can choose. To determine which one is the best Android launcher is very relative because so many aspects to count. Every launcher has its own pros and cons. But this time I choose Go Launcher EX because it has many options, have beautiful 3D effects, and it is light weight Android launcher.
How to install Go Launcher EX:
- Step 1: Download and install the application. Here’s how to do it: Make sure you have an active internet connection on your phone> open Android Market > type “Go Launcher EX” on the search field > wait for a second while searching > Click on “Go Launcher EX” application to start download and installation.
- Step 2: Activate the launcher by pressing the HOME button > it may show some launchers that you already installed > click “Go Launcher EX”
Note: You can use Go Launcher EX as your primary launcher. What you have to do is press the HOME button > when it shows the launcher selection, give a check mark on “set by default for this action” > Click Go Launcher EX. If you use Go Launcher EX as a primary or default launcher, then every time you press the HOME button it will directly to the main screen, no more the launcher selection pop-up menu.
If you want to go back to your default launcher, you can read this article: “How to Select Android Launcher”
Go Launcher EX Customization
Once the application installed and activated, the user can do many settings that will make the Android phone look more attractive. Here is some customization you can do:
1. Replacing the home screen wallpaper, the app drawer background and the Dock Background.
First, I will tell you what is the different among home screen, app drawer, and the dock.
- What is the home screen? It’s the main screen of your phone. Every time you click the HOME button, you will be taken to the main (home) screen.
- What is Android App Drawer? It’s the screen where you can find all of your installed applications. You can enter the app drawer by clicking the app drawer icon. Usually, the icon resides on the bottom center of the home screen (at the dock).
- What is Android Dock? Dock is located at the bottom of the home screen. It is a place to put the icons or shortcuts of the most frequently used applications. Dock position will not change even if the user slides the screen on the home screen. It consists of several icons, usually 3 to 5 icons. The icon placed on dock are usually (from left to right) the dialer icon, phonebook icon, app drawer, messaging and browser icon.
How to change the wallpaper on the home screen / main screen: Press the HOME button > press the MENU button > Click “Wallpaper” > select the application you wish to use to find the image, for example, the File Manager application or the Gallery > select the picture you want to use.
How to change the wallpaper for the app drawer: Go to home screen by pressing the HOME button > press the MENU button > click on preferences > click Themes Settings > Click App Drawer Background, you will see several options:
- Hide Background: using the same wallpaper as the main screen, but the color is darkened a little.
- Blur Background: using the same wallpaper as the main screen, but it makes the picture blurry.
- GO Theme Background: use the theme’s wallpaper
- Custom Background: using picture or photos stored on SD Card.
You can also change the dock wallpaper (background). Here’s how to do it: from the main screen, press the MENU button > click preferences > Click themes Settings> click Dock Background, it will show options:
- Hide Background: Dock does not use background.
- Go Theme Background: Using the default theme’s background
- Custom background: Using images or photos stored on the phone or SD card.
Here’s an example of dock with custom background:
2. Change the transition effects on the main menu (HOME SCREEN)
To change the transition effect on the home screen: go to main screen by pressing the HOME button > press the MENU button> click on preferences > click Effects Settings > click Desk Transition Effect > You will find several transition effects, choose the one that you like > when you finish, press the HOME button to try it.
Here’s an example of home screen transition effect. If the user swipes the screen left or right, it will show 3D cube shaped animation:
3. Change app drawer transition effect
You can select to scroll the app drawer horizontally or vertically. Here’s how to change it: From the main screen > Press the MENU button > click Preferences > Click App Drawer Settings > click Scrolling Orientation.
To change app drawer transition effect: press the HOME button> press the MENU button> preferences> click Effects Settings > it will show an option::
- Enter / Exit transition: change effect when the user enters and exit the app drawer.
- Horizontal and vertical scroll effect: to set the transition effect on the app drawer when switching from one application list to the other.
Here’s an example app drawer transition effect “sphere”:
4. Changing Android Application Icon
You can change the name and application icon in the main screen and also on the dock. Here’s how: Go to the main screen by pressing the HOME button > click and hold for several seconds on the icon to be replaced (e.g. the Messaging icon) > there will be options like a picture below:
- Replace: To replace the icon image
- Rename: To rename the icon
- Delete: It Removes the icon from the main screen (not uninstalling the application)
- Uninstall: Uninstall / remove applications from your mobile phone.
To change the icon image, click ”Replace.” It will show options:
- Default Icon: To change the icon back to its original images (useful when the user already changed the icon image)
- Theme’s Icon: Changing the icon using images that provided by installed themes.
- Custom Icon: Changing the icons using images or photos stored in phone memory or on SD cards.
Here are examples of “Messaging” icon image that has changed using photos stored on SD card:
5. Changing the theme launcher
If you feel unsatisfied or you just get bored with the default themes and icons, then you can install Go Launcher EX themes. Here steps to do it:
- 1. Press the HOME button > press the MENU button > click Themes > there will be some themes selection that suggested by the developer. But, those themes are not free.
- 2. To find a free Android theme, click “Download More Themes” > it will show pop-up menu with selection Android Market or Go Store > Choose Go Store, because it is easier to find the themes > Click Go Theme > Click “Free” to search free themes > Choose Android theme you like > wait for the installation process is complete.
- 3. To activate the Android theme, press the HOME Button > MENU Button > Click Themes > find the installed themes, if you can’t find it, slide the screen left or right > click it > Click Apply
The following picture is an example of an android home launcher using “Monkey” Theme. If you look at the dock, the icons already change. For example, the “App drawer” icon has changed into “banana” image.
Below is the picture of app drawer when using “Monkey Theme”:
6. How to hide Android application
You can hide the applications so it won’t appear in the app drawer. Hiding rarely use applications will make the app drawer less crowded and make you easier to find Android app you want to use.
Here’s how to hide the Android application: Go to the App Drawer >press the MENU button > click ”Hide App”> give a check mark on the applications you want to hide > click the BACK button when already finish.
7. Go Launcher Task manager
This application is not only acted as android launcher replacement, but it also has a task manager or task killer feature. To enter this feature, you only have to go to the App drawer and click the “Running” at the top of the screen (look picture below)
- All: It shows all applications installed on your mobile phone.
- Recent: It shows a list of recently used applications
- Running: It contains a list of running applications at this time
To use the task killer: Go to App Drawer > Click Running > click on one of the running applications > it will show options:
- Close: To turn off the Android app
- Lock: To lock the application. If the application is locked, then the application will still run if the user click “Close All Programs”
- Go To: To go to the application
- Info: Application information.
You can turn off all running applications at once by clicking “Close All Programs” (unless the application is in locked)
Note: We suggest you to use the Android task manager feature just to monitor running applications. Kill the app only if necessary. For example, if the application is crashed or not responding. Don’t click “Close all programs” too often; even you don’t have to click it ever. More complete explanation about Android Task killer can be read on the article: “Don’t Use Android Task Killer”
There are still many other features you can find on Go Launcher EX. For example, you can add Facebook or twitter widget on the Home Screen, create a folder in the app drawer and many more. If you curios about this one of the best Android launcher 2011, then install this app right now and make your device look different. Regards, cellphone88.com